Welcome to the LDS Scouter Blog. We hope to provide you with valuable information, share useful resources and maybe even improve some attitudes and Ward Scouting programs. The recommended way to use this blog is to start with the post, "Why I started this blog." Then browse through the post titles in the archive (found in the sidebar) for topics of interest.

Saturday, December 18, 2010

My Scout Hero

One of the items on my "To Do" list for the 100 Years of Scouting award is to "Think of a Scouting leader (youth or adult) who made a positive difference in your life. Write a letter to the editor of a local publication about how that individual taught you about leadership."

When I think of great scouters, of great scout leaders, a few people come to my mind. I think of the people I went through Wood Badge with; I think of my nephews, the oldest of whom have already earned their Eagles; I think of the leaders that taught my National Camping School course (best training ever!!!); but the one person who rises to the top, who has affected me personally the most, is Julee Hicks. Her dedication, devotion, organization and enthusiasm to get the job done always has me in awe. She personifies the statement "above and beyond" with respect to scouting. And yet, she doesn't do it for accolades or for personal gain.

She doesn't limit her volunteerism to her local area. (She volunteered to come over 1000 miles to assist me with our district's Day Camp. Of course, I couldn't let her put herself out like that, but she would have come if I'd said yes).

When I was involved with her unit several years ago, she was the grease that kept the unit running smoothly. All the "i"s were dotted and all the "t"s crossed. One of my loftiest Scouting goals is to become more like Julee.

During my military service I was stationed at an NROTC unit and one of the primary ideals was that as future officers we should lead from the front. Julee does that. She's in the fray, making a difference. Thanks for your fine example Julee. You have no idea how your example has benefited many scouts where I live now.

No comments: