Welcome to the LDS Scouter Blog. We hope to provide you with valuable information, share useful resources and maybe even improve some attitudes and Ward Scouting programs. The recommended way to use this blog is to start with the post, "Why I started this blog." Then browse through the post titles in the archive (found in the sidebar) for topics of interest.

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Preparation

7 Behold, you have not understood; you have supposed that I would give it unto you, when you took no thought save it was to ask me.

8 But, behold, I say unto you, that you must study‍ it out in your mind; then you must ask‍ me... (
D&C 9:7-8)

We teach our primary children that this applies to the temporal as well as the spiritual. "You can't just pray for God to give you the answers on a test. You need to study first, then pray for help remembering what you studied."

Before sending missionaries out to teach the gospel, we send them to an MTC to receive training, and if it's relevant, to receive a foundation in a new language. Then we rely on the Spirit to guide them as needed.

We know these things, yet we often forget to apply them as adults. Dallin H. Oaks reminded us last year that we should use available medical help and current science in addition to prayer, fasting and priesthood blessings in matters of health.

It is tempting to think, "This is a Church activity, so we'll be safe," or, "I was called and set apart, so I will receive all the inspiration I need," or, "The Lord called me, so that means He feels I am qualified," then to do nothing, save it be to ask for inspiration or for the boys to listen or for the activity to go well and that we'll all be safe.

Get trained. Attend Roundtables. Read the Handbook. Know the rules of Safe Scouting.

No comments: