26" x 8 3/4" piece outer fabric. I used an all-weather canvas, because I was lucky to find it in the remnant bin. A heavy-duty canvas is great for protecting books, but be warned it will require a heavy duty needle (14 or 16). A fabric that doesn't fray much is best for this project, because we are not going to bother hemming any edges.
14" x 8 3/4" piece of fabric for lining and 6" x 8 3/4" piece for pocket. You can use pretty much any scraps you have on hand here. I used a typical quilting cotton.
1 1/2 yards 1" grosgrain ribbon
4" strip velcro
Fold pocket piece in half, right sides together. Using a 1/2" seam allowance, sew along one side. Clip corner. Turn right-side-out and press.
Line unfinished edges of pocket with unfinished edges of canvas on right side of canvas. Baste 1/4" from edge. Sew finished edge as close to the edge as you can.
On the other end (still the right side) center the soft (loop) side of the velcro about 3 1/2" from the end and sew on.
Turn the canvas over to the wrong side. You will attach the lining to the end with the velcro. I used quilt basting spray to attach it temporarily. If you prefer pins, double-stick tape or basting with the machine, do that.
You're going to finish the short ends now with some ribbon. I have learned the best way to do this is with a zig-zag stitch so that you can be sure to catch both sides. Fold the ribbon in half over the end, like binding, and zig-zag on. Make sure to tie the ends of your zig-zag. Trim the ends of the ribbon and use Fray Check or other fray-preventing liquid.
Fold the other end in so that the total width of the cover is now about 15". Baste this down as well.
Finish the top and bottom with ribbon in the same way as above.
Center the hook side of the velcro about 3/8" from the end on the side with the pocket and sew on.
You're all finished. Now you just need to add the books. This was sized for the Webelos book, so it will be a bit loose on the smaller books, but it will still work for them. Slip the front cover in first, then slide the back cover into the pocket on back.
(This project was inspired by a post I saw a while back about making a personal progress book holder with your girls.)